Analytics

Friday, June 8, 2012

Widgets

My students are not the best inferrers

My TOEFL students REALLY struggled with inference in Wednesdays lesson so I gave them a quick worksheet with simple sentences and then asked them to infer. 
  •  Example: "Oh honey you don't have to get be anything for my birthday, just being with you is enough. I am going to go to the store now. I hope that my purse doesn't fall apart on the way there. It is so old!"
  • Inference: The person would like a purse for their birthday.
They struggled a little, but they improved a lot! They helped each other and when they were stuck I asked questions:
  • Example: An older man is running behind a school bus waving a child's lunch box in the air
Me: When do you run?
Students: To stay fit. Because you are late. To get away from someone etc.

Me: Is the man working out?
Students: No, he has a lunch box.
Me: Why would he run with a lunch box?
Students: He needs to give it to someone
Me: Whom might he need to give it to?
  • Inference: The man's child is on the bus and has forgotten his lunch.
One of the statements was:  You are giving a presentation for a large audience, and you notice people are laughing quietly at you while they point to the region below your belt.

My students had NO idea. I even had a volunteer come to the front of the class and stand there while I pointed at his general groin area. They were clueless! Once I explained it they all understood, but I was amazed no one got it.

I talked to my boss and a few other people and they got it right away... I wonder why they had so much trouble.

Do you get it?

2 comments:

  1. jeez, i'm always suffering the same. i keep telling my fellow teachers that it's not about ELL, it's about IQ level!!!
    god be with u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many different things to focus on when teaching!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. Due to spam, your comment may not show up right away, but as soon as I get a chance to approve it I will. I promise to be as fast as possible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...