- Just show the video to students as proof that yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks
- Use the video to supplement a reading exercise
- Do a listening activity with the video
I am working with my students to practice summarizing now, so I would probably use this make a quick summary activity with this worksheet and this article: Driving Dogs Continue To Drive Adoptions In NewZealand
- Ask if they have pets? Do their pets do tricks? What's the weirdest trick they've ever seen a dog do?
- Ask if they know the expression, "You can't teach an old dog new ricks?" Do they know what it means? Do they think it is true?
- Discuss why dogs not having homes is a problem. What other creative solutions can they come think of? Divide the class into groups and have them each come up with their own campaign to pitch to their local SPCA. At the end have them present to the class!
- Make sure to make note of any spoken errors to write on the board at the end of class and have students correct.