Analytics

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Widgets

Speaking With Confidence: Hot Seat

When I first started studying Spanish in Spain my friend went with me to a shop. I ordered my food and had the man ask, "What?" I immediately clammed up and turned to my friend, who repeated the order. She then gave me some of the best advice I have ever received:

"You know most of the time when they ask you to repeat yourself it isn't that you said it wrong, it is just you said it without confidence." She continued, "You spoke lower and were harder to hear. Just say it again a bit clearer and louder and you'll be fine" 
I tell a lot of my students to remember this when they are speaking to native speakers. When we speak a foreign language, we are often afraid of being wrong, or of making a fool of ourselves. Sometimes I start class by telling them about a time I was particularly foolish in my second language (Spanish).

Recently I went to the store trying to buy a light bulb, the problem was I didn't know the word.. 
 
Me: I am looking for light?
Worker: What?
Me: Light
Worker: I don't know what you want.
Me: I am looking for a ball of glass that gives light. 
Worker: Ummmm
Me: OK, do you sell lamps?
Worker: Yes
Me: Can you please take me to the lamps 
Worker: Here are lamps
Me: I want to buy the thing that goes here *point to spot a light bulb would go*
Worker: Oh! We don't have those.
Me: What are they called?
Worker: Light bulbs
Me: Thanks

This is a great example of using circumlocution when you don't know a word, and something I try to get my students to practice a lot.

Here are a few versions of the game Hot Seat, which helps your students to practice describing a word when they don't know the word and speaking loudly.

HOT SEAT

I am sure you've seen this one before. I like it a lot, but it requires some classroom management so be sure you have a good technique to settle classes down. 
The traditional version 
  1. Divide classes into groups of 3-5 students
  2. Put as many chairs facing away from the whiteboard as there are groups.  
  3. One person from each group sits in the chair. 
  4. Optional: I put blindfolds on my students to make sure no one peeks.
  5. Write the vocabulary word / simple word you want students to guess.
  6. Count to three and have them go at it!
  7. The first team whose person in the chair says the answer so the teacher can hear it wins a point for their team. 
  8. Then rotate another student in and continue.
RULES: No L1 may be used, and the word itself cannot be used. If L1 or the word are used that team is disqualified and loses a point.
Why it is awesome? Have you ever had your entire class start talking at the same time? It makes it kinda hard to hear, right? This means for the students to get the answer they have to shout their answer.
Don't Slip Up
  1. Divide classes into groups of 3-5 students
  2. Put as many chairs at the front of the class as there are groups.  
  3. One person from each group sits in the chair. 
  4. Give each group a slip of paper with a different word.
  5. Count to three and have them go at it!
  6. The first team whose person in the chair says the answer so the teacher can hear it wins a point for their team. 
  7. Then rotate another student in and continue.
Why it is awesome? This has the same noise level (meaning students really need to shout) but this time each group has a different word (meaning students can't overhear clues from nearby groups). There's also no need for a blindfold meaning nonverbal communication can be used.
Taboo it
  1. Divide classes into groups of 3-5 students
  2. Put as many chairs at the front of the class as there are groups.  
  3. One person from each group sits in the chair. 
  4. Give each group a slip of paper with a different word AND 5 related words they can't use e.g. if the word is Idiom you can't say: phrase, words, literal, figurative or English. Check out the game taboo for more examples. 
  5. Count to three and have them go at it!
  6. The first team whose person in the chair says the answer so the teacher can hear it wins a point for their team. 
  7. Then rotate another student in and continue.
Why it is awesome? Students really need to think of what they are saying since they have these no-nos. It is a lot like taboo except they have group members to help them.
Round, Round
  1. Have one student volunteer
  2. Sit the student in an office chair and spin him around 10 times (Why? Because its fun!)
  3. Put a blindfold on the student.
  4. Write a word on the board.
  5. Walk to the back of the classroom.
  6. Count to three and have the students start shouting clues!
  7. Once the word is guessed let another student try.
Why it is awesome? This has the same noise level (meaning students really need to shout) but this time students are working together. And the students all want to spin around in the chair so they'll be eager to volunteer. 
Do you have a twist on hot seat or another game you play to encourage students to practice Circumlocution? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I love "Hot Seat", too! I've used it and shared it with other teachers. I like the different variations you give it. I've only used it in its original version and a variation I call "Hot Seat Doubles". Lol...I wish if I'm ever a part of a professional development workshop or training in the future that they would have us teachers to play it because I want to :-)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great game isn'0t it? Oddly it is a game I don't remember ever playing when learning Spanish. Maybe it was out of fashion for a while. Regardless I'm glad I found another hot seat fan!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. Due to spam, your comment may not show up right away, but as soon as I get a chance to approve it I will. I promise to be as fast as possible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...