Analytics

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Widgets

What DO you do all summer?

As a teacher at a "traditional" school (compared to a language academy. I currently have summers off :)

I was given the option to request summer school classes, but to be honest, I felt like if I did that I would hate teaching by August. This year was hard for me. I moved back to San Diego, started a new school, created two classes from scratch and heavily altered another two classes. I got thrown a lot of curve balls and while I am super excited to be coming back in August, I didn't want to lose that feeling! I want to come back refreshed and ready for school. I want to come back excited to lesson plan and try new tricks. So, I made the decision not to teach this summer.

So, what will I do?

1. Be a Lifelong Learner
Yes, even though I am on break, I will be learning. There are a few community college courses I want to take. I've also signed up for some online courses. One on an author that I teach in World Literature, another about using technology. I plan on attending a few seminars as well, and will be getting my Professional Development On. 

2. Enjoy Reading
The list of books to read
This year I was given / bought / found a bunch of books I wanted to read. However, due to chaos, grading, lesson planning and life in general, they sat unread. I am determined to make a sizable dent in those piles! I've borrowed PopSugar's 2015 Reading Challenge and am turning it into my "Summer Reading Challenge."

I am going through the piles somewhat haphazardly and seeing where the book may fit on this list. My goal is to finish it by the end of the summer, but I'll be pretty happy to get at least half of it done.

So far I am 15% of the way through my summer, and ... about 10% of the way through my list. Not quite the math I'd like to see, but a solid start. If you'd like to join me I'd love to hear about what you're reading :)

My niece and I grabbing Slurpees to beat the heat
3. Be Social!
Many of my friends joke that they see me LESS now that I am in San Diego. This year was BUSY and I look forward to catching up with people I didn't get a chance to see. My father is retiring so family from out of town is visiting.My niece has a break from preschool so I have the chance to see her more. Overall I need to get out to enjoy my friends and family more often.

4. Be Ready
I also have some new books / short stories I was thinking about integrating into next year's lessons. I want to read these, find relevant non-fiction, plan when I want the projects to be, find holidays or contests that fit into the school's needs. I want to incorporate NaNoWriMo, Book clubs, and so many other things that I know I will need to pick and choose.

I also moved classrooms, so I want to get down to my class and set up for next year. Literally everything is in boxes, so it will probably be at least a solid day of putting up bulliten boards, books, etc.I may try to grab some furniture from garage sales as well to add to the class.
Reading and swimming. What more could I want?
5. Be Healthier
Oh how boring! However, this school year I have probably gained at least 10 pounds. I don't walk nearly as much as I did living in Mexico and I miss it. Luckily my parents have a pool, so I will try rotating reading with swimming and see if I can't get back into (slightly) better shape.

Those are the big five. I know it may seem like teachers have the summers off, but I promise you, most of us spend a large chunk of that time becoming better teachers! We meet up with colleagues to plan, head to museums to scope out primary sources, read up on anything we may have missed and always keep our students in the back of our minds... or at least, I know I do :)

What about you? What's on your summer to do list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Due to spam, your comment may not show up right away, but as soon as I get a chance to approve it I will. I promise to be as fast as possible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...