10. "We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat." Not from my class rather the chant at the recent Gaokao riot.
9. "I was seeing how far he got so I could pace myself." When I give tests I have a gigantic countdown on the board and make sure to verbally give reminders (You should be halfway through by now, etc.), so, this one doesn't fly for me.
#ExcusesForCheating How dare you excuse me of cheating on this test. I was just practicing dramatic head turns. I might be on a soap opera.
— BenJAMMIN Sprengeler (@ben_sprengeler2) October 23, 2012
I love the creativity of this one. I know it is two years old, but still awesome.
#ExcusesForCheating you didn't get a chance to study for your test because you were busy saving the world from a zombie apocalypse.
— Brianna Lucey (@BriannaLucey) October 23, 2012
Again! If a student at least can make me smile, I'll be less likely to take the test away.
6. "Yolo" - This one comes from Lillie The "You only live once," mantra is often used now by teenagers with no other valid excuse.
5. "I just got nervous." Nerves can be a serious problem. It is one reason I like to give different tests. That way if a student gets nervous fidgeting around it is OK.
4. "I wasn't cheating; I was just making sure they were right." How kind of you.
3. "I was stretching." There's stretching, and there's blatantly looking at your neighbor's desk. Nice try though.
2. "I was making sure my answer was right." Well, this is more believable than number 4, it is still considered cheating.
and my ultimate favorite
1. "But teacher I don't know any of the answers." Oh...well why didn't you say so. In that case of course you can look at your neighbor's paper.
on cheating during tests has lots of suggestions!
What about you? What's the most creative excuse your students ever gave you when you saw them trying to cheat during an exam.