Analytics

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Widgets

Mixed Metaphors and Horses

I was reading Shanthi's blog when it talked about horse idioms and it immediately reminded me of this clip from a movie I watched last week:



The idioms used are, "put the cart before the horse," and "get back on that horse."  Mixed metaphors always make me laugh :-)

There are two other horse idioms I say quite a bit; here's a sample conversation using both of them.

FRANK: I think I am going to ask Susie to marry me.
BOB: Hold your horses, didn't you just start dating last week?
FRANK: Well yes, but you and your wife got engaged the week after you met!
BOB: That's a horse of a different color. We had been dating online for years!

If you haven't figured out what these idioms mean yet, here are some quick definitions:

Put the cart before the horse: To do things in the wrong order (worry about something before you've gotten to that point).
Get back on the horse: Get back to doing something (normally after a failure)
Hold your horses: Slow down!
Horse of a different color: A completely different thing than the one previously discussed. Normally used to

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Due to spam, your comment may not show up right away, but as soon as I get a chance to approve it I will. I promise to be as fast as possible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...