Analytics

Friday, October 4, 2013

Widgets

Vocabulary Mobiles


My students always really struggle with vocabulary despite my many different attempts at helping them learn.

This semester I've decided to give them some help. We'll be making vocabulary mobiles to hang from the class ceilings. These will not have the words on them, but may help them remember words which are on the tip of their tongue during the test.

This is the first time I've done this, so please let me know if you have any ideas I should add! 

Right now I plan on assigning each student a different word. We'll have one presentation per class where students look at the mobile and try to guess the word. Then we'll hang the mobile on the ceiling where it will remind until the test.

So far these are my directions:

You will need:
  • A wire coat hanger
  • Old Magazines / Advertisements / etc.
  • Construction paper / Colored Paper
  • String / Yarn
  • Glue
  • Scissors
If you need help finding any of those items please let your teacher know as she can loan them to you for the project.

Using the previous mentioned products you will create a mobile for one vocabulary word from the Walrus and the Carpenter.

You MAY NOT have words or letters on your mobile.

Otherwise, you can use anything you like. Here are some ideas:
  • Use pictures which remind you of how the word sounds
  • Use pictures that remind you of the word’s meaning
  •  Use pictures of the word’s antonyms and draw an X through them
  • Use pictures of someone you think acts like the word
  • Use small light items: key chains, origami, pens, pencils, etc. Remember it has to hang from the ceiling, so nothing heavy
  • BE CREATIVE!

Example: What does the mobile here describe? It has: a wallet, a pink square, ocean waves, and a picture of a lot of animals.

A walrus! It is a pink animal that lives in the ocean. The word walrus sounds a  little like wallet and rust.

Can you think of any other ideas I can give them besides the ones listed above? If so please leave a comment or tweet me! Thanks so much! I'll be sure to take pictures and let you know how this goes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Carissa! This is such a brilliant idea! It's creative and at the same time students are remembering vocabulary words. This can also be perfect as a halloween or christmas activity. I'm definitely going to use this in my class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few students who did AMAZING jobs and some who have clearly make a poor attempt. I'll put up pictures today or tomorrow :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. Due to spam, your comment may not show up right away, but as soon as I get a chance to approve it I will. I promise to be as fast as possible!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...